Thursday, October 21, 2010

Salted caramel cupcakes

I could have also titled this post: delicious little bites of baked up heaven.

Alternatively, I could call this: Call your tailor because you'll need your pants let out!

WOW. WOW. WOW.

These are good. Not too sweet. Very rich. Just a tiny hint of salt to really set off the caramel flavor. Delicious!




Want to make your own?

Cupcake ingredients:
  • 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • ¾ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ cup milk

  1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. I used fun polka dot ones that I got at.....target I *think*.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the sugars and butter together until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk in 2 additions, beating on low speed until just combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
  3. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. I ended up with a bit extra...so instead of having overflowing cupcakes I could have made a few mini cupcakes to feed Thing 1 and Thing 2. You live and learn...
  4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20-22 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer the cupcakes to the wire rack and let cool completely.
Meanwhile....make your frosting!
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup milk (whole milk is best)
  • 1 stick of unsalted butter (don't make any exceptions on this. Get quality butter) 
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar 

  1. Whisk together the flour and the milk. Heat in a small sauce pan on medium heat.
  2. Whisk continuously until it starts to thicken. Let it cook, while stirring, until you can start to see the bottom of the pan. It might be lumpy....no big deal. Place the mixture in a fine mesh strainer and stir with a rubber spatula to push it through into a bowl.
  3. You should end up with a nice, smooth mixture. Like semi-set pudding.
  4. Put this mixture in the fridge and let it cool completely, it’s fine if it stays in there long enough to get chilly, you just don’t want it warm at all. Or be like me and throw that mush into the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
  5. It an electric stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the butter and the sugars for a minute or two until well combined and fluffy. Then while beating, add in the thickened milk mixture. Beat to combine and then scrape down the sides. It going to look kind of gross at this stage, but just wait. This is where the magic goodness happens! 
  6. Beat on med-high for 7-8 minutes. Don't worry...it's worth it.
  7. After 7-8 minutes it will have transformed from that sloppy mess into something gorgeous, fluffy, and incredibly light and silky.

I transferred my frosting to a decorators bag (alternatively you could use a zippy bag and snip a corner off) and piped it on top.

Sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on top of each one.

THEN...to make it even better I drizzled melted chocolate on top :) Everything is better with chocolate!


ENJOY! And let me know if you made them. I think the frosting would be great on chocolate cupcakes. In fact...I plan on making my favorite chocolate cupcakes from one of my favorite food bloggers here pretty soon. And I'll post of that too and let you know how it goes. I'm not sure how I'll be able to combine this awesomeness with all the sheer awesomeness of the PW....but I shall try!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

You're making these for when we see you Monday, right??!!

:)

lacy myers said...

I really should make them! I need to go get some more dark brown sugar. Maybe tonight!